Can Rohit, Dhawan continue their ODI form in 2014?
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
New Delhi: Even in the absence of senior batsmen like Gautam Gambhir and Virender Sehwag in the 2013 calender-year, Indian team performed outstandingly well in ODIs. India went on to win six consecutive ODI series out of the seven they played – which also included the precious ICC Champions Trophy.
Though it was a team effort, newly paired Indian openers Shikhar Dhawan and Rohit Sharma played crucial roles in this fruitful period. Both have played many match-winning knocks that helped India immensely.
They stand tall and gave India good starts at the top, which either helped India to put up good totals while batting first or even while chasing mammoth totals. With their consistent performance, Indian fans haven`t really missed the former opening pair of Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir.
It`s the result of their superlative performance that Gambhir is still waiting for his comeback in the team even after performing decently in the on-going Ranji Trophy.
While playing against Australia at home, they showed their hunger for more runs and proved that they are capable of giving the best of the bowling attacks a run for their money.
However these two failed dearly while playing in South Africa,where India lost the three-match ODI series 2-0. It also indicates that how much dependent the current Indian team has become on the pair.
Indian`s tour of New Zealand is round the corner, where India will play a five-match ODI series. And considering the fact that India have been scheduled to play too many away series, they again have a good chance to show their mettle and helped India to maintain their numero uno status in the ODIs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre