Cape Town Test: South Africa beat Pakistan to clinch series
Zeenews Sports Bureau
SOUTH AFRICA Overs: 43.1 II Score: 182/6 (Elgar: 11*, Peterson: 1*)
That’s it! South Africa have beaten Pakistan in the second Test by four wickets to clinch the three-match series. They are leading by 2-0. After Pakistan were completely outclassed in the first Test, they gave them a close fight in the second but at the end, it was the home team that emerged victorious.
SOUTH AFRICA Overs: 40 II Score: 173/5 ( Plessis: 15*, Elgar: 9*)
South Africa are just nine runs away from a victory. AB de Villiers was the fifth Proteas wicket to fall as he edged one from Tanvir to the keeper. He scored 36 (45b, 4X4).
SOUTH AFRICA Overs: 36 II Score: 150/4 ( Villiers: 31*, Plessis: 0*)
OUT! Saeed Ajmal has removed Hashim Amla who had scored a boundary off his previous delivery. It was tossed up , inviting Amla to drive. The ball spun and went through his defences to crash on the off-stump. Amla scored 58 (96b, 4X7). Faf du Plessis is the new man in the middle. SA need another 32 runs to win.
SOUTH AFRICA Overs: 35 II Score: 146/3 (Amla: 54*, Villiers: 31*)
South Africa have moved closer to the target and the current partnership has crossed the 50-run mark. Hashim Amla has reached his 26th Test fifty. South Africa need 36 runs to win this Test and have their seven wickets intact.
SOUTH AFRICA Overs: 28 II Score: 112/3 (Amla: 43*, Villiers: 9*)
Pakistan have exhausted all their reviews as Ajmal went for an lbw appeal after his third delivery hit de Villiers on the pads. The umpire turned it down but Pak went with the review. Replays showed that it would have missed the leg stump. SA need 70 runs to win this match.
SOUTH AFRICA Overs: 21.6 II Score: 88/3 (Amla: 35*, Villiers: 0*)
OUT! That’s a huge blow to South Africa! Saeed Ajmal has dismissed Jacques Kallis trapping him in front! It was a flat delivery and Kallis was looking to play it to the leg side but missed it as the ball hit his pad. Pakistan went with the appeal and umpire raised his finger. Kallis opted for a review but the decision was upheld. He scored 21 (30b, 4X3). In walks AB de Villiers.
SOUTH AFRICA Overs: 20 II Score: 80/2 (Amla: 34*, Kallis: 15*)
Saeed Ajmal began the proceedings after tea. His first over of the final session was a maiden. Kallis then scored consecutive boundaries off Tanvir Ahmed in the next over to ease the tension. Off the next from Ajmal came six runs- three singles and a triple off the last.
SOUTH AFRICA Overs: 17 II Score: 66/2 ( Amla: 32*, Kallis: 3*)
It’s Tea on Day 4 of the second Test. Pakistan have made some early inroads with the wickets of Peterson and South African captain Smith within the first 17 overs. Pakistan collapsed in the morning session of the fourth day’s play leaving South Africa with 182 runs to win the Test. The target isn’t an imposing one but with Saeed Ajmal in their ranks, Pakistan can still fancy their chances.
SOUTH AFRICA Overs: 16 II Score: 64/2 ( Amla: 32*, Kallis: 1*)
Ajmal strikes! À flat delivery pitched on the middle and Graeme Smith goes for the sweep. The ball hits him on the pad and Ajmal asks the question. Umpire raises his finger as Pakistani team breaks into celebrations. Smith discusses with Amla and goes against reviewing it. He scored 29 (39b, 4X2). South Africa need another 118 runs to win this game with eight wickets remaining.
SOUTH AFRICA Overs: 10 II Score: 32/1 (Smith: 20*, Amla: 10*)
Saeed Ajmal was introduced in the eight over and his first ball was short one that Smith attempted to cut but missed. The second was a short one again but this time Smith was spot on and cut it to third man for a boundary. Off the next over, bowled by Irfan, Amla collected his first boundary.
SOUTH AFRICA Overs: 5 II Score: 17/1 (Smith: 9*, Amla: 6*)
So, South Africa have lost their first wicket in Alviro Peterson who was trapped in front of the wickets by Umar Gul. It was a good length delivery and Peterson was on backfoot when the ball hit him on the pad. A loud appeal followed and up went the umpire’s finger. He scored 1 (16b). Hashim Amla is the new batsman in the middle.
SOUTH AFRICA Over: 1 II Score: 0/0 (Peterson: 0*, Smith: 0*)
Pakistan have begun the defence of their total with Mohammad Irfan recommencing the proceedings. Off his third delivery, Alviro Peterson was struck on the pads and after the on-field umpire turned down the decision, the third umpire was called for the review. Replays show that it was pitched outside leg and thus the original decision stands corrected. A maiden over.
PAKISTAN Overs: 75.3 II Score: 169/10 ( Ahmed: 10*)
Mohammad Irfan was the last man to be dismissed as he was caught by Robin Peterson off Dale Steyn. A short delivery from Steyn and Irfan has no time to avoid it as it flies to gully where Peterson completes the catch. He scored 2 (14b). South Africa need 182 runs to win this second Test. The pitch is providing assistance to the spinner and with Peterson making the ball do the dance, Saeed Ajmal must be feeling wicked!
PAKISTAN Overs: 70.5 II Score: 157/9 ( Ahmed: 1*, Irfan: 0*)
Saeed Ajmal goes for a sweep and Peterson’s fifth delivery ditches him and crashes on the leg stump. He scored 4 (23b). Mohammad Irfan is the last man in. Pakistan leading by 171 runs with just one wicket in hand.
PAKISTAN Overs: 70 II Score: 157/8 (Ajmal: 4*, Ahmed: 1*)
LUNCH The tail is exposed with Saeed Ajmal and Tanvir Ahmed at the crease. Pakistan wre expected to offer a fightback and with Misbah and Azhar stitching a fighting partnership the match seemed to have been nicely poised. But with the departure of the skipper who was caught at short fine leg, SA came back and quickly picked up four more wickets. The next to walk out was Asad Shafiq who was bowled in a bizarre fashion by Philander. Following him was Sarfaraz Ahmed who shouldered arms to a delivery from Peterson that was pitched outside leg but spun enough to crash on the middle stump. Azhar Ali and Umar Gul were dismissed off successive delivery by Philander to leave Pakistan stunned.
PAKISTAN Overs: 66 II Score: 152/8
Pakistan have lost the plot on the fourth day of the second Test against South Africa losing five wickets in the 21 overs bowled today. They were 100/3 with Misbah and Azhar holding fort at stumps on the third day but with the wicket of the former, who fell to Peterson, the floodgates were opened and one after another wickets kept tumbling. Philander has taken four wickets so far while Steyn and Peterson have two scalps each. Pakistan are leading by just 164 runs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'