Careers on the line after embarrassing performances: Sammy
Hamilton: West Indies cricketers could lose their place in the regional side following the team’s dismal performances on tours to India and New Zealand, captain Darren Sammy has conceded.
Sammy has also admitted that his own position as captain is on the line after their humiliating two-nil series defeat to New Zealand.
New Zealand’s eight-wicket victory over the West Indies Saturday was the Caribbean side`s fourth in five matches.
"There are tough decisions to be made by the coach and the director of cricket,” Sammy said here Monday.
“Some careers are on the line, could be mine as well, you never know."
The bright sparks for the West Indies have been Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Darren Bravo who averaged over 60 for the series and Denesh Ramdin`s hundred lifted his figure to 38.40.
Marlon Samuels was the major disappointment, averaging 19.50 while Kieran Powell, who had established himself in the opener`s position, was 17.33.
"We cannot continue like this,” Sammy said while he sat alongside West Indies coach Ottis Gibson.
“In any organisation, you need to show graft and commitment. The coach keeps saying if we do the same thing, don`t expect a different result."
Sammy has already been removed as captain of the one-day team although he remains skipper of the Twenty20 side that will start as defending champions at the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh.
West Indies` next Test series is against New Zealand in the Caribbean next year as well.
"At the end of the day, the selectors recommend the captain. If I`m asked to do the job I`d still do it. They`ll make the decision," Sammy said.
"Watch us play when we play well and people say wow, things are moving forward, but it`s two steps forward, then three or four backwards. Before we went to India, there were six consecutive Test wins. Then, on the tour of India, we got beaten miserably."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- UP Police Computer Operator Admit Card 2016 for May 19 exam available. Check uppbpb.gov.in
- Congress responsible for drought in state, says Maharashtra's finance minister
- US House passes email privacy bill
- PM Modi meets ailing Sushma Swaraj at AIIMS
- Twinkle Khanna’s words for ‘fitness freak’ hubby Akshay Kumar - It can’t get sweeter than this!