Central Zone qualify for Duleep Trophy final
Chennai: Disciplined show with both bat and ball helped Central Zone qualify for the final of the Duleep Trophy after they took the crucial first-innings lead against defending champions South Zone, on the final day.
Central, who made 293 in the first innings, declared their second innings at 530 for eight.
South Zone, after being bowled out for 183 all out, were 152 for two in 39 overs in their second innings when the proceedings had come to an end.
Boasting of five players who have donned the India jersey, South Zone`s stars lost out on the opportunity to perform and get back to the national side.
However, Central Zone`s stylish top-order batsman, Robin Bist, stamped his class yet again by making 160 (268b, 21x4, 1x5). He put on 212 runs for the sixth wicket with Bhuvnesh Kumar and then added 91 for the seventh wicket with captain Piyush Chawla.
With this performance, Bist, one of the top scorers in the Ranji Trophy this season with more than 1000 runs for Rajasthan, has surely staked a claim for a national call-up.
Central, who resumed on 378 for five, finished their second innings at 530 for eight declared, leaving South with the impossible task of making 640 from 54 overs.
Robin Uthappa failed yet again making just ten runs.
Captain Subramaniam Badrinath 58 (117b, 6x4, 2x6) and Manish Pandey 32 (37b, 2x4, 2x6) remained unbeaten when the match was called off at the start of the mandatory overs.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory