Centurions Mandeep and Menaria shine on Day 1 against NZ
Lincoln (New Zealand): Ashok Menaria and Mandeep Singh scored unbeaten centuries each to put India `A` in the driver`s seat, reaching 433 for four on the opening day of the second unofficial Test against New Zealand `A` here on Wednesday.
Mandeep and Menaria also put on an unbeaten 294-run stand for the fifth wicket, with the former remaining not out on 169 and the latter unbeaten on 164 at stumps.
Opting to bat, India A were in a spot of bother with four wicket down for less than 140 runs on the board but Mandeep and Menaria joined hands to not only consolidate the innings but also put the team in complete command against the hosts by the end of the day.
India lost both their openers -- Abhinav Mukund (12) and Unmukt Chand (7) -- early with just 31 on the board.
But Bengal`s Anustup Majumdar and Mandeep did the repair work and they went on to put 94 runs together for the third wicket.
However, Majumdar`s innings was cut short by Kiwi pacer Brent Arnel for a well-made 56. Suryakumar Yadav also failed to sustain and fell after hitting just nine runs to leave India `A` reeling at 139 for four.
But Rajasthan`s Menaria along with Mandeep launched an all-out attacked against the Kiwi bowlers.
Menaria was more dominant of the two. He played some delightful shots on his way to his 100 of just 90 balls smashing the Black Caps all around the park. His unbeaten 164 was studded with 21 boundaries and two sixes.
Mandeep, on his part, also played superb cricket and his 169-run knock was laced with 20 fours and a six.
Arnel was pick of the Kiwi bowlers with figures of three for 70, while Andy Mckay took one for 116.
The first Test between India A and New Zealand A had ended in a draw.
India A: 433 for four in 88.2 overs (Mandeep Singh not out 169, Ashok Menaria not out 164, Anustup Majumdar 56; Brent Arnel 3/70).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof