Batting performance embarrassing: Gautam Gambhir
Centurion: Kolkata Knight Riders captain Gautam Gambhir today conceded that his side`s batting performance in their 52-run defeat against Delhi Daredevils in the Champions League Twenty20 match here was embarrassing but said that they would bounce back into the tournament.
"We played every badly and it was an embarrassing batting performance from us. But it is long way to go. We have the talent and we will come back into the tournament," he said after the match.
Asked pointedly about his side`s disappointing batting show, Gambhir, who was out for a golden duck, said, "But this things happen. Sometimes you can`t hold on to the momentum. It was a good wicket. One of us had to bat through. If one of our top four got 70, we would have won."
"Credit to Irfan Pathan and Morne Morkel, and all Delhi fast bowlers. They bowled really well," he said.
KKR pacer Lakshmipathy Balaji conceded 61 runs for two wickets in his four overs, but Gambhir defended his bowler.
"Bala had a tough day today, otherwise we were in the game," said Gambhir.
Daredevils captain Mahela Jayawardene was happy that his side made an aggressive start but said that they would need improvement in some areas if they want to go the distance.
"We wanted to start the tournament well, be aggressive and we have done that today. Everybody showed that. Unmukt batted really well. He showed a lot of maturity," he said.
"We were probably 10-15 short, but the bowlers came along superbly. Useful attack in these conditions, but we still have to do the job every day. Very good start, but we have to keep it going," he added.
Man-of-the-match Irfan Pathan said he was happy that he has got his inswinging deliveries back.
"Came out really nicely. Getting wickets early on gave me the confidence to me and to the team. Credit should go the batsmen for giving a good total to defend. They played really well, especially Unmukt," said Pathan.
"Swinging is my strength. I am trying to get better every day. South African wickets suit me. Any bowler will want to bowl here though slightly uneven today."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India