Champions League T20 2012: Chennai Super Kings defeat Yorkshire by 4 wickets
Durban: Chennai Super Kings recorded their second victory in the Champions League Twenty20 with a four-wicket win over English team Yorkshire on Monday.
With both teams out, the match had no bearing on the semi-final line-up.
After restricting Yorkshire to 140 for six, the two-time Indian Premier League (IPL) champions scored 141 for six in 19 overs.
Yorkshire, put into bat, again saw their top-four surrender meekly.
Andre Gale (23) and Adam Lyth (11), who replaced Australian Phil Jaques for the opening slot, fell in successive overs. The English side was reduced to 36 for two in the seventh over.
David Miller (28) and Gary Ballance (58) rescued their team from a precarious position of 43 for three. They put on a 78-run partnership for the fourth-wicket. Both fell in quick succession as Yorkshire could score only 19 runs in the last three overs.
Chennai`s problem this tournament has been their failure to get off to a strong start. The problem persisted in this match as well.
South African Faf du Plessis (1) was the first to go after being dismissed in the second over. His opening partner Murali Vijay (13) also didn`t stick around for too long as he fell victim to pacer Olivier Hannon-Dalby.
Suresh Raina (31), who has looked good in the entire tournament, again got off to a good start. He and Subramaniam Badrinath (47) strung together a 48-run stand for the third wicket before Raina`s dismissal.
Captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni (31) played a cameo taking Chennai to the brink of victory before being dismissed with just one run to win. Wriddhiman Saha finished it off scoring the last single.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened