Champions League T20 2012: Chennai Super Kings vs Sydney Sixers - Preview
Johannesburg: Featuring players who shone at the World Twenty20, Australia`s Sydney Sixers might prove to be quite a handful for the Chennai Super Kings when the two teams clash in their opening Group B encounter of the Champions League T20, here on Sunday.
Sixers have quite an ace up their sleeve in all-rounder Shane Watson, the man who was destructive with the bat and incisive with the ball in the World T20.
Such was the 31-year-old all-rounder`s form, that he netted four Man of the Match trophies before walking away with the Player of the Tournament award even though Australia crashed out in the semifinals.
In the form of his life, if Watson manages to keep fatigue at bay, he could well turn out to be the most valuable player in the event.
Led by Brad Haddin, the Big Bash champions are a decent line-up even though Watson would be their most crucial player with the bat. The skipper, who is struggling to get back into the national fold after an injury layoff, would also be a key player for the side.
On the bowling front, they have the express pace of Pat Cummins and Mitchell Starc, who would relish the conditions here.
Cummins was in good form during the World T20 and would be looking forward to working his magic in a country where he made a sensational Test debut last year.
Chennai, on the other hand, have a few issues to deal with. Skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni will come into the tournament as a man under scrutiny after being an uninspiring leader during India`s doomed World T20 campaign.
The batting line-up of the IPL runner-ups features some reliable names such Michael Hussey, Suresh Raina and Dhoni himself but the team lacks the one aggressor who can intimidate the rival attack.
Faf du Plessis and Albie Morkel have a reputation of being destructive when on song but the South Africans lack consistency even though being on home turf might just work to their advantage.
On the bouncy tracks of South Africa, the likes of Doug Bollinger and Ben Hilfenhaus would be expected to deliver even though off-spinner R Ashwin`s form would also be crucial for the side.
Chennai Super Kings: MS Dhoni (c), R Ashwin, Michael Hussey, Doug Bollinger, M Vijay, Faf du Plessis, Ben Hilfenhaus, Nuwan Kulasekara, Albie Morkel, Suresh Raina, Wriddhiman Saha, Ravindra Jadeja, S Anirudha, Yo Mahesh, S Badrinath.
Sydney Sixers: Brad Haddin (c), Patrick Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Moises Henriques, Michael Lumb, Nic Maddinson, Nathan McCullum, Ian Moran, Peter Nevill, Stephen O`Keefe, Ben Rohrer, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Dom Thornely, Shane Watson.
Match starts at 5 pm (IST).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference