Champions League T20 2012: Delhi Daredevils vs Auckland Aces - Preview
Durban: Riding on its batting prowess, Delhi Daredevils would look to consolidate their position in the points table when they take on a demoralised but unpredictable Auckland Aces in a crucial Group A match of the Champions League Twenty20 cricket tournament here on Friday.
But it won`t be easy for the Daredevils as they will find it hard to keep the momentum going after a long gap from the playing arena.
The Delhi outfit last played four days ago when they beat reigning IPL champions Kolkata Knight Riders in their tournament opener and since then they have remained out of action.
To make matters worse for Delhi, the Aucklanders will approach the match as wounded tigers and will be desperate to return to winning ways after having lost to Titans in their previous game last night.
But all said and done, the Daredevils have the potential to turn any game on its head riding on the quality of their batting department.
In skipper Mahela Jayawardene, Virender Sehwag, Kevin Pietersen and Ross Taylor, Delhi outfit possesses a top-order which can tear apart any bowling attack in any condition.
Young Unmukt Chand is also a welcome addition to Delhi`s already powerful batting line-up as the right-hander is capable of adapting to the requirements of the team.
Delhi`s bowling attack is equally dangerous. In Irfan Pathan, Morne Morkel, Umesh Yadav and Ajit Agarkar, the IPL team has a strong pace attack, which will find the bouncy South African conditions to their liking.
In fact, Delhi`s pace quartet has already made their intentions clear during their defence of 160 runs against KKR the other day.
While Pathan, Morkel and Yadav scalped two wickets apiece, Agarkar picked up one to derail KKR`s chase.
Auckland, on the other hand, had mixed result so far in the main round. After annihilating KKR by seven wickets in the first game, the New Zealand team lost to Titans by 59 runs on Wednesday.
And the Gareth Hopkins-led team would be desperate to get their campaign back on track against Delhi on Friday.
Till Wednesday, Auckland were on roll given that it had won both its qualifying matches and then the first Group A game against KKR.
Devoid of any big stars, Auckland team has been a surprise package with its gritty performances.
An enterprising batting line-up has been Auckland`s strength and this was revealed in match against KKR with good contributions coming from the top order even though the target was not huge.
Experienced all-rounder Azhar Mahmood was the star performer with both the bat and ball. He would be a key player for the team along with Vincent and Martin Guptill.
The trio remains the lifeline of Auckland`s batting department, but against Titans yesterday, they failed to deliver with the bat and would be eager to return among runs.
Delhi Daredevils: Mahela Jayawardene (captain), Ajit Agarkar, Unmukt Chand, Morne Morkel, Pawan Negi, Naman Ojha, Irfan Pathan, Kevin Pietersen, Andre Russell, Aavishkar Salvi, Virender Sehwag, Ross Taylor, Venugopal Rao, David Warner, Umesh Yadav.
Auckland Aces: Gareth Hopkins (captain), Andre Adams, Azhar Mahmood, Michael Bates, Bradley Cachopa, Colin de Grandhomme, Martin Guptill, Ronnie Hira, Anaru Kitchen, Mitchell McClenaghan, Bruce Martin, Chris Martin, Kyle Mills, Colin Munro, Lou Vincent.
Match starts at 9 pm (IST).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'