Highveld Lions threatened CL organisers with legal action over favouring IPL teams
Sydney: South African team Highveld Lions had threatened Champions League officials with legal action after they made a last-minute change to the playing conditions, which fuelled suspicions that the tournament was favouring Indian teams.
Fearful that both semi-finals would be washed out by rain, the Champions League`s governing council announced on Thursday just hours before Delhi was due to meet Highveld Lions in Durban, that a reserve day had been set aside for the games.
With storms looming, the ruling provided a lifeline for the Daredevils, who faced elimination had their semi final been a washout, as they had won fewer games than the Lions during the group stage of the tournament.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Lions had told Champions League organisers that they reserved the right to take legal action, though that is now unlikely after they won through to the final with an upset 22-run victory over pre-tournament favourite Delhi.
Initially, there had been no reserve day in the schedule but there were provisions in the playing conditions for a winner to be determined should there not be a result due to inclement weather, the paper said.
According to law 21.9.2 of the playing conditions, the winner is determined in order of priority by the number of wins in the group stage, then net run rate, and if they still cannot be separated lots are drawn, it added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!