Mumbai Indians ties up with other school sports in city
Mumbai: Spreading its wings beyond cricket, Indian Premier League franchise Mumbai Indians today announced a tie-up with 119-year-old Mumbai Schools Sports Association for developing infrastructure for the 20-odd games run by the organisation.
"The partnership is to develop and support all the sports (20-plus) organised by MSSA. There is hardly a sport that MSSA does not promote. This is a significant step for Mumbai Indians in its efforts to strongly promote other sports beyond cricket at the grassroots level," said MI team owner Nita Ambani at a media conference here today.
"Mumbai Indians look forward to working closely with MSSA in promoting sports as an integral part of education. Sports, as part of education, help develop behavioural skills and shape the character of young people to succeed in life.
"I have come here (to MSSA premises) not only as a participant but also as a parent with my children. Let this infrastructure development start as a beginning to develop sports," she added.
MSSA president, Jude Rodrigues, said that as the initial step of the partnership, MI would lay an "astrograss" field (for football), develop indoor facilities for games like badminton and table tennis, and build stands for children with changing rooms and install floodlights.
"We have 400 schools under our jurisdiction and have a long-term lease over 12,000-odd square metre area at the northern end of Azad Maidan. We have a football ground, three tennis courts and a basketball court (presently)," Jude said.
MSSA would also invite schools, including municipal schools, which cannot pay the annual membership fees of Rs 2000 and the entry fees for games, to take part in them free of cost, according to Jude.
"The partnership will help in turning the desert (barren playing area) in front of you into an oasis (after the laying of astrograss for football)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog