Rudolph leads Titans to 39-run win over Scorchers
Centurion: Jacques Rudolph led Titans' dominant all-round display with a 59-ball 83 to propel the home team to a convincing 39-run win over Perth Scorchers in the Champions League Twenty20 opener here on Saturday.
Sent into bat, Titans posted a challenging 163 for four, and then rode on Cornelius de Villiers' three wickets to restrict Perth Scorchers to 124 for seven at the SuperSport Park.
It was left-handed Rudolph's 109-run partnership for the first wicket with Henry Davids (54) that set the tone for Titan's challenging total and in the end proved to be sufficient for the South African side.
Rudolph, who has represented the South Africa national team in 46 Tests and 45 One-day Internationals, was in top form and found the boundaries at will against Perth bowlers.
Not far behind was Davids, who matched Rudolph shot for shot, and indicative of that were their similar strike rates that hovered around the 140s for a major part of Titans innings.
While Rudolph smashed nine fours and three sixes during his belligerent knock, Davids hit four fours and as many sixes while facing a mere 38 balls.
The century partnership between the two openers took just 12.2 overs as Schorcehers struggled to take wickets.
By the time the first wicket fell, the damage was already done.
A 51-run stand for the second wicket between Rudolph and 38-year-old Martin van Jaarsveld (19), who has also played for South Africa for a brief while, added to Scorchers' misery as the two batters collected the runs in 39 balls.
Pacer Nathan Rimmington was the best Scorchers bowler, returning impressive figures of two for 20, while there was a wicket apiece for Michael Beer and Joe Mennie on a pitch that had a tinge of grass on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar