Watson’s forced withdrawal from CL T20 spurs call for Cricket Australia to set guidelines
Sydney: Cricket NSW Chairman Dr Harry Harinath believes Cricket Australia needs to set guidelines regarding any restraint on Test players who would be competing for places in the Big Bash League franchises.
He says this will avoid the type of ````unnecessary drama```` created by the forced withdrawal of Shane Watson from the Sydney Sixers` Champions League campaign in South Africa.
Watson, who was named player of the recent World Twenty20 tournament in Sri Lanka, was ordered home by CA to rest before next month`s Test series against South Africa - despite the Sixers being in contention to win the 2.5 million dollar Champion League`s prize money.
While Harinath supported CA on this matter because of the ``bigger picture``, he said it could have been ugly if the Sixers were owned by a private investor. Cricket NSW owns 50 per cent of the Sixers and Thunder, Sydney`s two Big Bash franchises.
``We definitely need guidelines on this matter. Can you imagine what this could have been like if the franchise was owned by a private investor? They`d have been very upset because Watson might make the difference to the team not winning the series by not being there,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Harinath, as saying.
While Harinath understood Clark`s frustration at CA``s demand to send Watson home, he described the reason behind it as ``sound``.
``As chairman of CNSW, I support Cricket Australia on this even though I`m extremely sympathetic to Stuart Clark`s views. If the Australian cricket team doesn`t win the series there are great implications, it hurts the game on a number of levels. It hurts the promotion of the team and it also affects commercial revenue as well,” he said.
"I`m a board member of the Sixers and Cricket Australia and while I want the Sixers to win the Champions League, the Australian team has to come first,” he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!