`Lack of firepower and injury worked against T&T`
Port of Spain: Trinidad and Tobago captain Denesh Ramdin says a lack of batting firepower in the death overs and injury to bowler Rayad Emrit contributed to their semifinal defeat to Mumbai Indians in the knock-out stage of the Champions League T20.
The Red Force suffered a six wicket defeat to Mumbai, who went on to beat Rajasthan Royals by 33 runs in Sunday’s final at the Feroz Shah Kotla to win the tournament.
Ramdin says a plan for one of their top three batsmen to bat through most of the innings did not material.
“I think we were about 15 runs short when we batted and we just could not defend our score,” said Ramdin.
“The plan was for one of the top three men to bat until at least the 17th or 18th over and this did not happen. Again we did not have the firepower in the end to take advantage of a good position and we paid the price”.
The Red Force sent in to bat, made 153 for five with Evin Lewis hitting 62 off 46 balls and Yannick Ottley unbeaten on 41.
Dwayne Smith hit a 59 off 38 balls and shared an opening partnership of 90 runs with Sachin Tendulkar to lead the Mumbai Indians to victory.
“We also lost Rayad Emrit and this was critical because he has been a very good bowler for us and it was unfortunate,” said Ramdin.
“All these factors led to our downfall. However, I am proud of the team and I am sure they will continue to fight hard for their country.”
Despite being knocked out at the semi-final stage, Ramdin says that his team enjoyed a good run and that he is proud of his men’s performance.
“I am happy with the way we have carried T&T in our four attempts at the Champions League. We have made a name for ourselves in this tournament and a number of our players have been recognized for performances at the Champions League,” said Ramdin who has played in all four Champions League tournaments in which the Red Force competed.
“We did not win a title and while this is disappointing, when you look at the overall picture you cannot be anything but proud. We fell short in this semi-final and really thought that we could have gone all the way and win”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015