Champions League Twenty20: MI vs Otago CLT20 match called off
Ahmedabad: Rain played spoilsport in the Champions League Twenty20 matches today with the second game between IPL champions Mumbai Indians and New Zealand side Otago Volts also being abandoned without a ball being bowled here.
The umpires waited till the toss time of 7:30pm before taking a decision to abandon the Group A match. Since it was raining, though not that heavy as compared to the time of first match, the umpires decided to call off the MI-Otago match without calling the two captains for the toss.
The amount of water due to persistent rain at the playing arena of the Sardar Patel Stadium at Motera was such that it looked like a swimming pool with huge puddles of water at the outfield though the wicket was kept covered.
The two sides got two points each for the abandoned match and the result would dent Mumbai Indians` chances of reaching the semifinals as they had lost to Rajasthan Royals by seven wickets in their opening match on Saturday.
New Zealand T20 champions Otago had reached the main tournament after finishing on top in the qualifiers and it was to be their first match today. They had impressed immensely in the qualifiers by winning all three of its matches to finish atop the standings.
En route the main draw, Otago defeated Sunrisers Hyderabad, Pakistan`s Faisalabad Wolves and Sri Lankan outfit Kandurata Maroons.
Heavens had opened up just after the toss was held for the first match of the day between Perth Scorchers and Lions in Group A. That led to the stadium resembling a lake rather than a cricket field.
Rains continued persistently though eased off in intensity, and it was just a matter of time that the second match was also called off to the huge disappointment of the fans who had turned up in large numbers.
The fans, who had come to watch the match, must have been a disappointed lot as they would have wanted to see Sachin Tendulkar to bat.
The veteran batsman, playing his last tournament for MI, could bat again here as the Mumbai outfit play Lions on September 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says