CLT20: Sunrisers Hyderabad would bank on their formidable bowling attack
Mohali: Sunrisers Hyderabad weren’t expected to be at the Champions League Twenty20 2013 when they commenced their Indian Premier League season. Nishad Pai Vaidya looks at their line-up, Shikhar Dhawan’s new role and the powerpacked bowling attack.
Sunrisers Hyderabad were the surprise package of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2013. Mainly banking on the strength of their bowling, they shot ahead of more complete line-ups and booked their berth for the Champions League Twenty20 (CLT20) 2013. As they gear up for the qualifying stages, they are led by a new man — Shikhar Dhawan — who has grown as a cricketer in recent times and is the torchbearer for Hyderabad. Dhawan not only has to lead the team, but would also have to take more responsibility as a batsman in a side that has struggled to put runs on the board.
Although Kumar Sangakkara sat out for the team’s cause for quite a while during the IPL 2013, his presence would have been crucial during this tournament. He may not have been in good touch then, but he brings quality to the table and could have added much-needed punch to the batting. Also, the change in captaincy — from Cameron White to Dhawan — indicates that Hyderabad are looking for more options. Since they are only permitted four foreigners in the eleven, the appointment of Dhawan gives them more flexibility.
As a result, it seems there could be a toss-up between Jean-Paul Duminy and White for the spot in the middle order. It would be a crucial one as they need someone to support Dhawan and not leave it to the lower order to do the damage. On many occasions, the likes of Darren Sammy and Thisara Perera rescued them with some late hitting, but it isn’t going to work every time. They have a Parthiv Patel at the top, who needs to show more consistency in providing those quick starts.
But, how much would captaincy affect Dhawan? He has made a name as a flamboyant stroke-maker who is absolutely fearless. There is always a fear that the added responsibility may hamper an in-form batsman’s game. It is in such situations that a player’s character and temperament is put to test. Dhawan has shown that he is unfazed by pressure while batting and that same approach should hold him in good stead ahead of the CLT20 2013. Hyderabad are pinning their batting hopes on this one man as he is their most reliable.
Hyderabad’s formidable bowling attack is a complete pack with variety. Dale Steyn is arguably the best fast-bowler in recent times and combines the pivotal ingredients to become a lethal paceman. His four overs are like gold-dust and have to be used according to the situation. If the pitch is more helpful, there may be a case for them to bowl him out upfront. In other situations, he may have to be saved for later.
Steyn has valuable support in Ishant Sharma, Perera and Sammy. While Ishant and Perera will bowl on the quicker side and would be wicket-takers, Sammy’s seemingly innocuous deliveries can also trouble the batsmen — particularly on slow wickets. Then there is Amit Mishra, who has been in great form this year and would be itching to strengthen his limited-overs credentials. It is quite obvious that the bowling has most of the work to do and if they fail, it could be tough for Hyderabad.
Hyderabad’s first battle would be against their former skipper — Sangakkara — as they take on the Kandurata Maroons. Due to all the drama surrounding his participation, Sangakkara would be fired up for this contest and there is no better way to silence the Doubting Thomases than by scoring runs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday