I wanted to hang on for first few overs: Smith
Jaipur: Mumbai Indians kept themselves in contention for a Champions League Twenty20 semifinal berth with a win over Lions and Dwayne Smith was a happy man that he played a match-winning knock to help his side bounce back.
"I am happy that we are back in contention. There was some pressure as we did not have any chance to play for 3-4 days and after this victory we have to move on. Rest would all depend on run rate," Smith, who hit a brilliant unbeaten 63 to guide his side to a seven-wicket victory, said.
Smith said that he initially wanted to just to hang on for a few overs before playing his shots.
"They have a very good bowling attack and I wanted to just hang on initially. They were hitting the deck hard but I knew after spending 5-6 overs at crease I can hit the ball and score," Smith said.
Talking about Sohail Tanveer, the West Indian batsman said, "He is a good bowler and has some deceptive action. The bouncer he bowled at me was really quick and good. But I have played several times against him, recently in England, and have always scored."
A dejected Lions coach Geoffrey Toyana, on the other hand, said that arithmetically his team still has a chance of making it to semifinal.
"It was a bad defeat but I feel still we have an arithmetic chance if results of other matches go in our favor. The conditions here were difficult but we have learnt our lessons," he said last night.
"Sohail Tanveer had given us a chance by removing Sachin Tendulkar early and also when Rohit Sharma walked back but Smith`s innings made the difference and we knew how Pollard has been hitting the ball during IPL. If we had scored 160, we could have something to bowl at but never got going.
"I am happy about Tanveer who is a great bowler and we wish he continue playing like that for us," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read