Malinga set to miss CL T20 due to personal reasons
Colombo: Sri Lankan speedster Lasith Malinga is likely to miss playing for Mumbai Indians in next month`s Champions League T20 to be played in India due to some family commitments.
Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has confirmed receiving Malinga`s leave request while his Indian franchise Mumbai Indians, who won the IPL this year, have also been informed. Malinga`s wife is due with their second child during that time.
"We haven`t had the time to approve his request yet, because we only got it from him on Friday. But since it is a personal reason, I don`t think there will be any problem," SLC secretary Nishantha Ranatunga was quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo.
His leave request extends to Sri Lanka`s tour of Zimbabwe, which follows the Champions League, from October 10.
Malinga, who played for Guyana Amazon Warriors franchise in yesterday`s Caribbean Premier League final, wants to be with his wife and family during his time off, as they expect their child late in September.
Mumbai Indians begin their Champions League campaign on September 21 while the limited-overs matches in Zimbabwe start from October 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family