Malinga set to miss CL T20 due to personal reasons
Colombo: Sri Lankan speedster Lasith Malinga is likely to miss playing for Mumbai Indians in next month`s Champions League T20 to be played in India due to some family commitments.
Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has confirmed receiving Malinga`s leave request while his Indian franchise Mumbai Indians, who won the IPL this year, have also been informed. Malinga`s wife is due with their second child during that time.
"We haven`t had the time to approve his request yet, because we only got it from him on Friday. But since it is a personal reason, I don`t think there will be any problem," SLC secretary Nishantha Ranatunga was quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo.
His leave request extends to Sri Lanka`s tour of Zimbabwe, which follows the Champions League, from October 10.
Malinga, who played for Guyana Amazon Warriors franchise in yesterday`s Caribbean Premier League final, wants to be with his wife and family during his time off, as they expect their child late in September.
Mumbai Indians begin their Champions League campaign on September 21 while the limited-overs matches in Zimbabwe start from October 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Athlete Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics in 100m sprint
- Enthusiasm in social networking may earn you a job: ASSOCHAM report
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- Messi Vs Ronaldo: Should Cristiano Ronaldo too quit if Portugal fail to win Euro 2016?
- Beware! Excessive gadget use could stimulate early ageing: Doctors
- Haryana gang-rape victim sends notice to Salman Khan
- Amit Shah's dig at Akhilesh Yadav: Will Barack Obama maintain law and order in UP
- Mutual Funds pump in Rs 7,200-crore in stock markets in April-June