Rahul Shukla, Brad Hodge took the game away from us: Brendon McCullum
Jaipur: Their 15-match winning streak snapped by Rajasthan Royals, Otago Volts captain Brendon McCullum said Rahul Shukla and Brad Hodge took the crucial Champions League Twenty20 game away from his side with their superlative performances.
Rajasthan restricted the Kiwis to a modest 139 for seven following a fiery spell of fast bowling by Shukla (3/23) and then rode on Hodge`s unbeaten 23-ball 52 to overhaul the target with five balls to spare on Tuesday.
"He (Shukla) generated good pace and swung the ball beautifully. The ball with which he bowled Hamish Rutherford was a cracking delivery," McCullum said.
"I believe we did a really good job to get to 140, and especially with the ball, we showed some good fighting abilities. But the way Hodge played at the end was brilliant. It didn`t take me by surprise.
"I think Rajasthan scored 50 odd runs in four overs but that Hodge has done many times for Royals and has pulled them out of the crunch moments. He is a class player," he said.
McCullum himself was disappointed with his performance with the bat in the tournament.
"I had a pretty good qualifying tournament at Mohali and had scored some runs but here I could play only 8 balls in three matches and one was washed away. That is really disappointing," he said.
Volts` semifinal chances now depend on the outcome of the final Group A match between Mumbai Indians and Perth Scorchers at Delhi on Wednesday.
The Kiwi outfit will be hoping for Mumbai`s defeat to qualify for the semifinals.
"We had the game for taking but we didn`t grab the opportunity. So out fate now depends on the outcome of the Mumbai Indians and Perth Scorchers match. We will have to keep a close watch on it," McCullum said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!