Retiring from Test cricket made me more emotional: Dravid
New Delhi: He has been the finest ambassador for India in the traditional form of the game and Rahul Dravid, after calling time on his cricket career, remained true to his first love -- Test cricket.
"It was (emotional) in some ways. It`s when you give up Test cricket, that`s when you feel emotional," Dravid said when asked whether he felt emotional turning up for Rajasthan Royals against Mumbai Indians in the last match of his professional career.
"It was a privilege to lead such a bunch. The franchise has gone through a lots of ups and downs. It has been the same group and there was great working environment," Dravid, who captained Rajasthan Royals to the final of Champions League T20, said.
As he has done on many occasions, Dravid did mention that the spot-fixing scandal involving India international S Sreesanth was "very disappointing".
"It wasn`t an ideal thing to have happened. I don`t want to comment specifically but those were extremely challenging times," Dravid told `NDTV` in an interview.
Dravid felt that the spot-fixing incident is a lesson for the cricket establishment that one needs to be "vigilant".
"Look, people who want to corrupt the game are not going to go away. It`s a lot about the choices that an individual makes. We have to be vigilant."
Dravid gave a logical answer as to why he came in at No 8 during the final last night.
"Chasing a target with an asking rate of 11 per over is certainly not my strength at 40 plus," he laughed.
"It has been a memorable journey with the Royals. It started three years back and last two years, I have been a captain. The whole campaign has been excellent. Yesterday was a good night and I got a lovely reception from the Delhi crowd."
He was all praise for veteran Praveen Tambe who grabbed 12 scalps in the tournament to emerge as highest wicket-taker.
"While we play international cricket, we must never forget that we have the Praveens of the world playing for along with us in the club matches. It`s a heart warming story of Praveen`s skill, fortitude and attitude."
The best part about retirement according to Dravid "is not having to practise anymore".
"I will get to spend more time with my family. I haven`t planned about my second innings. Right now however, I need a holiday."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22