Champions League T20: Yorkshire beat Uva by 5 wickets in qualifier
Johannesburg: Yorkshire produced a clinically all-round performance to defeat Uva Next by five wickets in the Champions League Twenty20`s opening qualifying match here today.
Chasing 151 for victory, English side Yorkshire completed the task with three balls to spare at the New Wanderers Stadium.
David Miller (39 not out) and Adil Rashid (36 not out) were the top scorers for the winners.
Opener Phil Jaques gave the chase right impetus after the early departure of skipper Andre Gale and Joe Root.
But after racing his way to 32 off 21 balls, Jaques offered a return catch to Dilshan Munaweera.
Miller, who came back after retiring hurt, along with Rashid, then finished the job for Yorkshire, giving them hope of qualifying for the main tournament that kicks off on Saturday.
Miller struck four fours and a six during his 29-ball knock while Rashid found the fence two times and cleared it once during his 30-ball innings.
Opting to bat, a disciplined bowling effort earlier helped Yorkshire restrict Uva Next to 150 for seven.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'