Chanderpaul returns to the number one spot
Dubai: Veteran West Indies` cricketer Shrivnarine Chanderpaul has replaced Australia captain Michael Clarke as the top Test batsman in the world.
The reliable Chanderpaul leads Clarke by a single ratings point to regain his position at the top of the table, according to the latest ICC rankings, released Tuesday.
Chanderpaul`s return to the coveted spot follows his double century last month in the first test against Bangladesh, CMC reports.
He is now the top-ranked batsman with 879 ratings points while Clarke shadows him closely on 878 points.
Clarke has slipped to second position after regaining the number-one spot last week at the conclusion of the Adelaide Test.
South Africa batsman Hashim Amla has moved within four ratings points of becoming the number-one ranked batsman.
Amla, who was declared man of the match in the Perth Test, has moved up two places to third position with 875 ratings points following his match-winning knock of 196 in the second innings of the series-decider.
Although four ratings points separate the top three batsmen, Clarke will have the first shot at regaining the number-one position when he leads his side in the first Test against Sri Lanka, which starts in Hobart Dec 14.
South Africa will return to the Test arena next year when they play New Zealand in the first Test in Cape Town Jan 2, while the West Indies is not scheduled to play a Test until March when they will host Zimbabwe for a two-match series.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place