Chappell questions Johnson, Hughes place in Oz squad
Sydney: Former Australian cricket captain and commentator Ian Chappell has given his considered opinion about the present national squad, showered accolade and praise on some, questioning the credentials of others, and in overall terms, suggesting to the national selectors to pull up their socks and select the best that Australia has offer for the upcoming series against Sri Lanka.
According to Chappell, while Shane Watson is best suited to open the innings, and Dave Warner is a match winner who needs backing, he terms the stop-gap inclusion of NSW opener Phil Hughes as a “Bandaid Solution”, News.com.au reports
He describes Western Australian batsman Michael Hussey, long regarded as Australia’s “Mr. Cricket” for saving the team from embarrassment on many occasions, as the team’s “Ideal Anchorman”.
Skipper Michael Clarke, he says is in the form of his life, and all his past traumas off the field need to be given a miss.
He believes wicketkeeper Mathew Wade needs to improve his performance with the gloves, while he questions fast bowler M. Johnson’s in the squad on the grounds that on his home ground WACA, he didn’t deliver as he should have against the South Africans.
Chappell’s comments on the squad are as follows:
Watson: "Opening his best position"
Warner: "Match winner, needs support"
Hughes: "Bandaid solution but he’s young"
Clarke: "Forget past traumas – he’s in form"
Hussey: "Ideal anchorman"
Henriques: "Performing consistently"
Wade: "Needs to be a good keeper"
Johnson: "Is he a WACA bowler or not?"
Starc: "Battle with Johnson for one spot"
Siddle: "Attack leader sorely missed"
Lyon: "Good finger spinner"
Smith: "A talented, smart all-round option and Clarke’s considerate of spinners"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'