Chappell says Australia will struggle against English pace attack in Ashes
Sydney: Australian cricket great Ian Chappell has put a damper on Australia`s hopes for the 2013 Ashes by claiming that the team`s batsmen will struggle in the back-to-back series in England.
Expressing his confidence that England will win the series and retain the urn, the successful former Australian captain said that although he is hoping that Australia will win the series, he expected them to be swept away by their rivals.
According to Chappell, although Australia has a strong crop of pace bowlers, it does not have the batting strength to match England, adding that that the system was to blame for such a poor condition of the team.
Stating that England is well ahead of Australia in terms of both spin bowling and batting, Chappell blamed the cricket officials and claimed that the lack of attention to problems with the batting production line were dragging Australia down.
Criticising the rotation system and challenging the need to rest batsmen and then letting them play in the Indian Premier League (IPL), Chappell said that the early 20s used to be the normal debut age for batsman at international level but it is now the late 20s and even into the 30s.
According to Chappell, the dismal performance of the team in the India Tests and the damage it has inflicted on the batsmen`s confidence will also impact on Australia`s chances in the Ashes in July and August.
Meanwhile, Chappell also hit out at the Shane Watson drama being played out in the media instead of keeping it closed doors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly