Chennai pitch one of the toughest I`ve played on: Franklin
Chennai: Mumbai Indians all-rounder James Franklin, who top-scored with an unbeaten 42 in his side`s five-wicket defeat to New South Wales on Sunday, said the Chepauk pitch was one of the most challenging he had played on.
"It`s probably one of the more challenging pitches I`ve played on in my career. It was really, really hard looking to score runs up front and it was real graft, credit to New South Wales, I think they bowled outstandingly well, they stuck to the basics, which came out really well," he said at the post-match press conference.
Batting first, MI could only post 100 for seven and would not have reached three figures but for Franklin`s knock.
"It was a case of trying to get runs, I think we were 20 or 30 runs short. (A total of) 130 would have made the game really interesting. But our bowlers bowled outstandingly well, they gave us a chance of winning, but Steven Smith and Ben Rohrer (who shared an unbeaten 63-run partnership for the sixth wicket) batted outstandingly and saved New South Wales," he said.
Franklin defended the attacking fields set up by Mumbai captain Harbhajan Singh when NSW were in trouble at 28 for five. The Australian outfit were still able to milk singles and hence reduced the pressure building on their team.
"We were trying to take wickets and also conscious of not giving away too many runs. (But) you`ve got to pay credit to those two guys out there (Rohrer and Smith), who were able to rotate strike in the middle with minimal risk," Franklin said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!