Chigumbura resigns as Zimbabwe cricket captain
Harare: Elton Chigumbura has resigned as Zimbabwe cricket captain to focus on improving his own form.
The 25-year-old all-rounder was appointed captain in May last year as replacement for spinner Prosper Utseya, but his own performances have suffered under the pressure of the captaincy.
He was sharply criticized after the team`s disappointing results at the recent World Cup.
Chigumbura told local newspaper Newsday yesterday that "I have thought long and hard about the job since my return from the World Cup and I have consulted my family and friends about it.
"While some still think I should have stayed on, others agreed with me that I needed to concentrate on my own game and let somebody else lead the team."
Opening batsman Hamilton Masakadza or Brendan Taylor are tipped to replace Chigumbura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured