Chigumbura resigns as Zimbabwe cricket captain
Harare: Elton Chigumbura has resigned as Zimbabwe cricket captain to focus on improving his own form.
The 25-year-old all-rounder was appointed captain in May last year as replacement for spinner Prosper Utseya, but his own performances have suffered under the pressure of the captaincy.
He was sharply criticized after the team`s disappointing results at the recent World Cup.
Chigumbura told local newspaper Newsday yesterday that "I have thought long and hard about the job since my return from the World Cup and I have consulted my family and friends about it.
"While some still think I should have stayed on, others agreed with me that I needed to concentrate on my own game and let somebody else lead the team."
Opening batsman Hamilton Masakadza or Brendan Taylor are tipped to replace Chigumbura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets