Chigumbura resigns as Zimbabwe cricket captain
Harare: Elton Chigumbura has resigned as Zimbabwe cricket captain to focus on improving his own form.
The 25-year-old all-rounder was appointed captain in May last year as replacement for spinner Prosper Utseya, but his own performances have suffered under the pressure of the captaincy.
He was sharply criticized after the team`s disappointing results at the recent World Cup.
Chigumbura told local newspaper Newsday yesterday that "I have thought long and hard about the job since my return from the World Cup and I have consulted my family and friends about it.
"While some still think I should have stayed on, others agreed with me that I needed to concentrate on my own game and let somebody else lead the team."
Opening batsman Hamilton Masakadza or Brendan Taylor are tipped to replace Chigumbura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH