Chris Morris to replace injured Morkel in SA squad
London: Talented paceman Chris Morris was named as injured Morne Morkel`s replacement in the South Africa squad for the ongoing Champions Trophy.
"The ICC has confirmed that the Event Technical Committee of the ICC Champions Trophy 2013 has approved Chris Morris as a replacement player for Morne Morkel in the South Africa squad for the tournament," the official press release stated.
Morkel suffered an injury to his left quad during South Africa`s opening match of the tournament against India in Cardiff yesterday.
South Africa`s next match is against Pakistan in Birmingham on Monday 10 June.
Morkel could not even complete his spell. All he could bowl was 6.5 overs in which he gave away 27 runs and did not take a wicket.
He has suffered a Grade 1 injury on the left quad and would need no less than three weeks to regain fitness.
South Africa are already struggling with fitness of their pace spearhead Dale Steyn, who missed the game against India due to a side strain.
Morris has been rewarded for his consistent performance in the recently concluded sixth edition of the Indian Premier League where he played 16 matches for the formidable Chennai Super Kings getting 15 wickets in the process. His economy rate was on the hugher side as he went for around eight runs per over.
The 26-year-old has played couple of T20 Internationals against New Zealand and Pakistan and has four scalps to his credit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand