Chuni gets life time, Dinda-Shukla `Cricketer of the Year`
Kolkata: The CAB on Sunday honoured ex-India football captain Chuni Goswami with the Kartick Bose lifetime achievement award, while Laxmi Ratan Shukla and Ashok Dinda were jointly given the best players of the season 2011-12 honours.
At the Cricket Association of Bengal Annual award function here, 74-year-old Goswami was given Rs 1 lakh as part of his lifetime achievement award.
Goswami had captained India to the Asian Games Gold Medal in football in 1962 and had also skippered Bengal into finals of the Ranji Trophy.
He had played 46 first-class matches between 1962 to 1973.
With batting average at 28.42, total score 1592, best 103, Goswami also took 47 wickets as medium pacer and held 40 catches. But his famous and fearful dribbling capacity is a saga of Indian football in 50 and 60s.
Among others, the event was graced by former ace spinner Bishan Singh Bedi. Dinda, who is in Sri Lanka for national duty, also received the `Best Bowler` award for the season.
Every player of the Bengal team which won the Vijay Hazare Trophy was given Rs 1 lakh and a blazer each.
Jhulan Goswami, the first Indian woman cricketer to claim 200 wickets, was also honoured for her achievement and received a cash award of Rs 50,000.
Anustup Majumder was named the Best Gentleman cricketer, while Archana Das got the Best Woman cricketer award.
Jayojit Basu was named the best U-22 cricketer of the state. The other recipients are Antara Jana for Best Cricketer U-19 women`s category, best under-19 male cricketer was Sandipan Das.
Avirup Gupa of Calcutta University was named best university cricketerwhile best cricketer under-19 district was Sachin Kumar Yadav of Hooghly. Md Irfan Ansari of Howrah was adjudged best U-16 district cricketer.
District`s best under-14 cricketer is Abshikesh Tamang of Burdwan. Best school cricketer in an u-16 Shaura Vardhan Sonthalia of La Martiniere for Boys.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...