Clarke backs `great fella` Bailey to earn Test debut for Oz in winter Ashes
Sydney: Injured Australian captain Michael Clarke has backed stand-in ODI captain George Bailey as a worthy debutant in the first Test of the return Ashes series at the Gabba, beginning next month.
Bailey`s 1379 runs at 53 in 33 one-day matches has taken him ahead of any other Australian since his debut in March last year, and second in the world behind India`s Virat Kohli
According to News.com.au, Clarke hailed Bailey, saying that the captain, who would be leading the ODI team in India for the sixth game in Nagpur, has done an exceptional job in the last couple of years in the shorter formats, adding that he would love to see him get his opportunity in the Test team.
Clarke further said that the final selection would be based on performance and who the selectors think is the right man for the position, adding that he has always enjoyed playing alongside Bailey as he is a `great fella`.
Chairman of selectors John Inverarity has indicated that Bailey may not even need to play a Sheffield Shield match on his return from the Indian one-day series to play against England in Brisbane, saying that Bailey`s performance in one-day cricket has been outstanding and he brings a large amount of character to the team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!