Clarke is best captain after Taylor: Mallett
Perth: Former Australian spinner Ashley Mallett feels Michael Clarke is the best cricket captain the team has had since Mark Taylor as he makes things happen instead of relying on luck.
Clarke led his team to a 2-0 lead against India in the on-going Test series and himself scored a fantastic triple ton in the Sydney Test.
"I think his captaincy has been fantastic. To me he`s the best captain we`ve had since Mark Taylor because he`s proactive. He tries to make things happen and his field placings are great.”
"And it`s not just luck that things are happening because he`s making things happen. His changes have been good," Mallett said.
The former spinner like Ian Chappell feels that Clarke`s batting has got better with the added responsibility of leading the side.
"And as a batsman, since he took over the captaincy, he`s probably batting better than he ever has," Mallett was quoted as saying by a leading daily.
Mallett, who worked briefly with Clarke at the Cricket Academy, also felt that the captain should bowl.
Clarke had dismissed Sachin Tendulkar in the Sydney Test, depriving the Indian batting great from getting to his historic 100th international century.
"He was always a bit of a natural bowler but obviously his first love was batting and he looked at his bowling as something he did occasionally. I don`t think he`s ever really worked at it.
"Still, he got that 6-9 on that minefield in India (at Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai in 2004). And he got those wickets (three for five) against India in Sydney to win the game (in 2008)," Mallett reckoned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!