Clarke may be ruled out of India tour due to back problem
Sydney: The back problems of Australian captain Michael Clarke are reportedly significant enough to rule him out of the upcoming limited-overs tour of India, with Cricket Australia (CA) confirming that George Bailey was on standby to lead the team in the series of seven one-dayers and a Twenty20.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the gloomy update on Clarke, who is back in Australia after a three-month tour of England, is not ideal as the home season approaches, especially with the return Ashes almost two months later in November.
Stating that Clarke`s back condition has flared up again for which he has been selected for the India tour subject to fitness, chief selector John Inverarity said that the skipper has returned to Australia for further assessment, although he hoped that Clarke`s problem will improve in time for the India tour.
Meanwhile, Inverarity also expressed his confidence on the team selected for the limited-overs tour, saying that they can take a great deal of encouragement and confidence from its recent performances in Scotland and England as they will face stiff opposition in India.
With the tour beginning with the Twenty20 on October 10, CA said that it was possible Australian players already in India for the Champions League, including Daniel Christian, Ben Cutting and Ashton Agar, could be chosen for the India tour.
Meanwhile, the report added that Steve Rixon would be head coach for the India tour, with Darren Lehmann rested to `refresh, work with the states and provide others with opportunities`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'