Clarke, Ponting and Hussey are Australia’s most bankable Test scorers
Bridgetown (Barbados): Australia’s senior batsmen Michael Clarke, Ricky Ponting and Michael Hussey are the country’s most bankable run scorers in the Test arena.
Should Australia’s batting is still a concern although no longer the problem is glaring as it was towards the end of Andrew Hilditch’s troubled reign.
The returns of Clarke, Ponting and Hussey during the Border-Gavaskar series masked a worrying trend in the fledgling top order.
Four times out of six Australia has failed to reach 100 before the loss of their third wicket against India and each time it was the top three back in the dressing room. That would have been repeated here had the West Indies thrown to Shane Watson’s end instead of Ponting’s in the first innings, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
“I think we’ve got a very strong batting line-up. I think we’ve got guys batting in the right spots; we’ve just got to continue to perform as well as we possibly can, no matter what the conditions are like. We``ve got to keep trying to find ways to adjust and to play well,” Clarke said.
Ed Cowan, without a century from his first seven Test innings, appears the most vulnerable of the top three but still has credit from the home summer, during which he dominated at domestic level and made important contributions against India.
The West Indies believe they have seen weaknesses in Australia``s opening pair, who, with Watson, are playing in their first Test series in the Caribbean, the paper reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city