Clarke posts 4th double century to match Bradman’s feat
Adelaide: Michael Clarke continued his Bradman-like year, producing his fourth 200-plus innings of 2012 to guide Australia to 482-5 at stumps Thursday against an injury-depleted South Africa attack in the second Test.
The Australia captain became the first batsman to score four double centuries in a calendar year when he took a single off Imran Tahir late on the first day at the Adelaide Oval. His 200 came off 226 balls and featured 35 boundaries and a six.
Australia produced its highest first-day total in a Test match since the 496 scored against South Africa in 1910.
David Warner belted 119 from 112 balls on a day dominated by the batsmen apart from a stumble in the first session when the Australians lost three wickets for 12 runs and slipped to 55—3.
The momentum swung wildly back to Australia after 37-year-old all-rounder Jacques Kallis limped off the field in the 17th with an injured right hamstring after dismissing Ed Cowan (10) and Ricky Ponting (4) in his opening 3.3—over spell. He didn’t went for MRI scans and didn’t return to the field, compounding the pressure on the South African attacked after Vernon Philander was ruled out just hours before the match started with a bad back.
Kallis had 2—19 and Morne Morkel’s figures blew out to 2—128 after he was forced to shoulder a heavier workload with Kallis out and Steyn hampered by a tight left hamstring in the evening session.
Warner plundered South Africa’s depleted bowling from the start, clobbering four sixes and 16 boundaries in his third Test century.
The burly opener smashed Faf du Plessis’ first ball in Test cricket, a high full toss, over the square leg boundary and lost it in the construction zone to move to 83.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda