Clarke wears Greig`s signature neckerchief to pay tribute
Sydney: In a tribute to late cricketer-turned-commentator Tony Greig, who passed away after suffering from a heart attack last week, Australian captain Michael Clarke wore his signature neckerchief while leading his team onto the field in the second Test against Sri Lanka which started here today.
Besides, Greig`s trademark hat sat on the stumps in the Sydney Cricket Ground before the start of play.
The players wore black armbands as a mark of respect to the South African-born former England captain who was battling lung cancer at the time of his death on Saturday, aged 66.
"He was an inspiration to cricket," said Clarke, who was presented the neckerchief by Grieg`s son Tom before the start of play.
"The game owes Greigy a hell of a lot. If not for the great Kerry Packer and Tony Greig, the game wouldn`t be where it is today," he added, referring to the rebel World Series Cricket which revolutionsed the game.
The players observed a minute`s silence, while Greig`s fellow commentators paid rich tributes to him.
"He was so strong in every way, a man I always liked to have on my side," said Benaud.
"...We will get on with it as he would have wished. And at the end of the day we will raise a glass to our gifted colleague and friend forever."
Former Australian captain Ian Chappell remembered Greig as a courageous person.
"He was combative but he was not about to take advantage of you," said Chappell.
Thousands of fans, who turned up today, wore Greig-style sun hats to pay tribute to him. Greig`s other son Mark was also in attendance at the SCG.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka