Coaching South Africa would be a massive honour: Kirsten
Cape Town: Set to be appointed as South African cricket team`s next coach on Monday, Gary Kirsten said it would be a massive honour after representing the national team with distinction for a decade.
Kirsten, 43, played in 101 Tests and 185 ODIS for the Proteas in a career spanning a decade.
"I would love to coach the South African team -- it`s my people. It will be a natural progression," Kirsten said.
"I`d consider it a massive honour," the former left-handed, who guided India to a World Cup triumph in the sub-continent two months ago, said.
According to the `Beeld`, Kirsten would be appointed as Coorie Van Zyl`s replacement, with AB de Villiers likely to be named captain in all three forms of the game in a meeting on Monday, when Cricket South Africa is expected to make a slew of announcements.
As far as CSA is concerned, its only consideration is whether Kirsten will be able to juggle his family life with the demands of being a full-time national coach. Come November, Kirsten will be awaiting the birth of his third child and that was reason he was initially reluctant to coach South Africa.
Also in the running for the job is former Pakistan coach Richard Pybus, but Kirsten`s record as an international player and his highly successful stint with India give him the edge.
Under Kirsten`s guidance India rose to become the number one Test team in the world, besides winning the World Cup.
Meanwhile former South Africa pacer Allan Donald, who is likely to be named as the side`s bowling coach, said he has spoken to Kirsten but will comment on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues