Coaching South Africa would be a massive honour: Kirsten
Cape Town: Set to be appointed as South African cricket team`s next coach on Monday, Gary Kirsten said it would be a massive honour after representing the national team with distinction for a decade.
Kirsten, 43, played in 101 Tests and 185 ODIS for the Proteas in a career spanning a decade.
"I would love to coach the South African team -- it`s my people. It will be a natural progression," Kirsten said.
"I`d consider it a massive honour," the former left-handed, who guided India to a World Cup triumph in the sub-continent two months ago, said.
According to the `Beeld`, Kirsten would be appointed as Coorie Van Zyl`s replacement, with AB de Villiers likely to be named captain in all three forms of the game in a meeting on Monday, when Cricket South Africa is expected to make a slew of announcements.
As far as CSA is concerned, its only consideration is whether Kirsten will be able to juggle his family life with the demands of being a full-time national coach. Come November, Kirsten will be awaiting the birth of his third child and that was reason he was initially reluctant to coach South Africa.
Also in the running for the job is former Pakistan coach Richard Pybus, but Kirsten`s record as an international player and his highly successful stint with India give him the edge.
Under Kirsten`s guidance India rose to become the number one Test team in the world, besides winning the World Cup.
Meanwhile former South Africa pacer Allan Donald, who is likely to be named as the side`s bowling coach, said he has spoken to Kirsten but will comment on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM