Cobras can handle T&T spin attack: Vilas
Chennai: Ahead of their must-win Group A match against Trinidad and Tobago, Cape Cobras wicketkeeper Dane Vilas on Monday said his team is confident of seeing off Caribbean side`s spin attack on the difficult MA Chidambaram strip.
"Luckily, we are playing them at the end, so they`re not a completely unknown entity," Vilas said at the pre-match media conference.
"We`ve done some work on them, they bowled brilliantly on Sunday. I think the key to the game against Chennai was that they took the pace off (the ball) quite a lot. A lot of bowlers that we`ve faced have taken the pace off using different variations. So hopefully we`ve got that covered," he said.
Asked to name one area the team needs to improve upon, he said, "It`s basically a quarterfinal for us, we have to win this game. We had a long pre-season. One key area we can improve on is probably our fielding. I think we have not been the fielding side we can be in this tournament "
Vilas said he is confident about the South African side`s spin attack, despite it going for runs in the rain-hit match against Mumbai Indians in Bangalore, when the latter amassed 176/6 in 20 overs.
"We`re very confident. (The Chennai and Bangalore pitches) are completely different. The one in Chennai helped spin, while the Bangalore one was a lot flatter and a better pitch to bat on.
"But we`ve played three games here and J P (Duminy) bowled a brilliant spell against Chennai, taking four wickets against great players of spin and we`ve also got Robin Peterson," he said.
Asked if china-man bowler Michael Rippon would get a look in against Chennai on a spin-friendly pitch, Vilas said, "I think we`ll keep the same team, we`re bowling well as a team. (But) guys like Andrew Puttick and Rippon are always ready (if picked)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi