Cobras can handle T&T spin attack: Vilas
Chennai: Ahead of their must-win Group A match against Trinidad and Tobago, Cape Cobras wicketkeeper Dane Vilas on Monday said his team is confident of seeing off Caribbean side`s spin attack on the difficult MA Chidambaram strip.
"Luckily, we are playing them at the end, so they`re not a completely unknown entity," Vilas said at the pre-match media conference.
"We`ve done some work on them, they bowled brilliantly on Sunday. I think the key to the game against Chennai was that they took the pace off (the ball) quite a lot. A lot of bowlers that we`ve faced have taken the pace off using different variations. So hopefully we`ve got that covered," he said.
Asked to name one area the team needs to improve upon, he said, "It`s basically a quarterfinal for us, we have to win this game. We had a long pre-season. One key area we can improve on is probably our fielding. I think we have not been the fielding side we can be in this tournament "
Vilas said he is confident about the South African side`s spin attack, despite it going for runs in the rain-hit match against Mumbai Indians in Bangalore, when the latter amassed 176/6 in 20 overs.
"We`re very confident. (The Chennai and Bangalore pitches) are completely different. The one in Chennai helped spin, while the Bangalore one was a lot flatter and a better pitch to bat on.
"But we`ve played three games here and J P (Duminy) bowled a brilliant spell against Chennai, taking four wickets against great players of spin and we`ve also got Robin Peterson," he said.
Asked if china-man bowler Michael Rippon would get a look in against Chennai on a spin-friendly pitch, Vilas said, "I think we`ll keep the same team, we`re bowling well as a team. (But) guys like Andrew Puttick and Rippon are always ready (if picked)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert