Collective batting effort propels India A to victory
Darwin: Rishi Dhawan (56) and Akshar Patel (45) put up a splendid rearguard action under pressure as India A clinched the Quadrangular series trophy with a narrow four-wicket win over Australia `A`, here on Saturday.
Chasing 275, India A were in a spot of bother after losing their top-order for a mere 51 runs and then reeling at 182 for six but Dhawan and Patel combined for a match-winning 93-run stand for the unbeaten seventh wicket.
Dhawan scored 56 off 55 balls while Patel hit 45 off 38 balls as India A chased the target with just eight balls to spare.
Before that stand, Kedar Jadhav (78 off 73) and Manoj Tiwary (50 off 75) had kept the Indian team in the hunt with their fighting half-centuries before being scalped by Ben Cutting (3/46).
For the hosts, skipper Cameron White smashed his way to a magnificent 137 that set up Australia`s challenging total.
White and his opening partner Phillip Hughes (51) had rattled up a 146-run stand to provide the hosts a solid start after deciding to bat.
Once Huges was dismissed by Dhawal Kulkarni (3/51), India kept getting wickets at regular intervals and that helped them restrict Australia to a gettable total.
Alex Doolan (24) in the top and Ben Cutting in the lower order batted well for the hosts.
Australia A: 274 for 5 in 50 overs.(C White 137, P Huges 51, B Cuttign 35; D Kulkarni 3/51).
BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel congratulated the India A team on its achievement.
"India 'A' have won the Quadrangular limited-overs tournament in Australia, beating the home team by four wickets in the final, earlier today.
"The victory marked the culmination of a memorable competition, wherein our team won five of its six league matches. On behalf of the BCCI, I would like to congratulate the entire India 'A' squad for this achievement," Patel said in a statement.
India A: 275 for 6 in 48.4 overs.(K Jadhav 78, M Tiwary 50, R Dhawan 56 not out; B Cutting 3/46).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir