Commercial linkage exists between BCCI, state units: Govt
New Delhi: The government has said there exists a "commercial linkage" between BCCI and its state affiliates, contrary to claims made by the cricket body before the Central Information Commission that it had no relationship with state associations.
In a statement dated January 9, 2012, before the transparency panel, the Sports Ministry said Board of Control for Cricket in India allots various events to state units and as per present practice, the revenue from host broadcasting rights and title sponsorships are taken by the national-level federation.
"As such there is commercial linkage of BCCI (being a national-level organisation and allocating events to state units) and its state affiliates," the ministry said.
It said the arguments put forth by BCCI during the hearing before CIC "does not hold good" that it has no relationship with its state affiliates and in case the state affiliates get some concessions or direct or indirect subsidy from a government, that does not come to BCCI.
The CIC is considering whether the BCCI is answerable under the Right to Information Act, while the appellants Subhash Agrawal and Ashok Varshney contend that it receives indirect funding from government.
BCCI says it gets no funding from the government and hence does not come under the transparency law.
"BCCI gets an event from ICC, then it keeps certain rights with itself which has the commercial value and then allots the event to a state unit. The state unit gets concessions/direct/indirect/subsidy from state government and holds events on commercial basis.
"As such by holding the event by a state unit, BCCI also gets revenue. Accordingly, concessions/direct/indirect/subsidy received by a state unit is also subsidy to BCCI," the statement said.
Earlier, in a seven-page written statement dated December 16, 2011 submitted before the CIC, the Sports Ministry had said although there is no direct funding of the BCCI, it gets "substantial indirect funding" from the government in the form of revenue forego like "concessions in income tax, customs duty etc" and lands at concessional rates for stadiums. The ministry said BCCI is performing the functions "akin" to state and "public duties" by selecting national teams and representing India in international events.
Citing the Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper Use) Act, it had said, "Since the name Board of Control for Cricket in India suggest patronage of the government, the BCCI may have to drop the name `India` from its name in case they continue to act as `private body`."
"In the view of the above, the present position of the Government of India in this regard is that there exists just and reasonable grounds for the BCCI to be declared as a `public authority` under the Right to Information Act, 2005," it said.
Information Commissioner M L Sharma had directed the Sports Ministry to "submit a written statement indicating its position as to whether BCCI is a public authority in terms of section 2(h) of the RTI Act."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'