Competition will make Windies a stronger force: Bravo
Hamilton: West Indies captain Dwayne Bravo says competition in the squad augurs well for better performances following a lopsided 203-run victory over New Zealand in the fifth and final One Day International (ODI) Wednesday.
Kieran Powell, who opened in place of the injured Chris Gayle, slammed 73 off 44 balls while Kirk Edwards, who also came into the XI after a spate of injuries , hit his maiden ODI ton.
Bravo, who also scored his second ODI century, attributed total team effort to the West Indies handing New Zealand their second-biggest ODI defeat.
"I can`t single out anyone, it was a great team effort," said Bravo.
“We always want this competition. The coach says that we should make more options available. This will put us in a great position."
The West Indies win, which drew the series two games each, follows poor performances in back to back losses against New Zealand and after Coach Ottis Gibson had expressed disappointment in the replacement players.
Gibson had accused the players of failing to grab the opportunities in the absence of the injured first-choice players saying it was the reason West Indies found themselves 2-1 down after winning the first game of the series.
New Zealand were shot out for 160 runs in reply to the West Indies mammoth 363 for four.
"[The openers Charles and Powell were going through a tough time, but it was important me and the coach backed them," Bravo said.
"They have done great things for us in the past, and the way Powell started put pressure on New Zealand straightaway. Then Edwards came in at No. 3, under pressure, and took the opportunity by getting a maiden century."
The two teams will now face-off in a two-match Twenty20 series, beginning Saturday in Auckland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof