Cook admits adjusting with ``intense`` Flower and ``laid-back`` Giles no cakewalk
London: England captain Alastair Cook has conceded he is still getting used to working with limited-over coach Ashley Giles, who has a laid-back approach and Test team coach Andy Flower, who is quite intense on the field.
Last November, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced Flower would focus on Tests while Giles would coach the 50-over and Twenty20 sides, and captain Cook knows he must form a strong relationship with both men, the Sun reports.
Giles started with a 3-2 one-day series defeat in India, which was better than other England teams have managed in recent years, and Twenty20 and 50-over series victories in New Zealand.
Now, Flower returns for the three-Test series against the Kiwis, which started at the University Oval in Dunedin on Tuesday, but the first day was washed out due to rains.
Cook said having two coaches has thrown up a few challenges, and when it was announced, they knew it would be the case, adding there are not problems as such but they have to be aware of the differences in their characters.
Cook added Flower is very intense and Giles is more laid-back off the field, but it``s good because it gives each squad a different direction, adding what they both want on the field is the same i.e. high standards and the excellence needed to perform in international cricket.
Cook is embarking on an epic 10 months of Test cricket in which England have back-to-back Ashes series at home and away, and instead of being daunted the 28-year old regards it as an opportunity for players to carve their names into sporting folklore forever.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore