Cook eyeing long-term England dominance until next World Cup
Sydney: England captain Alastair Cook expressed confidence about his team`s long-term success, saying that his team`s dominance in the game may go through until the World Cup in two years.
Stating that he believes that England`s recent lacklustre displays in the drawn Test series against New Zealand will soon be forgotten as they head into a busy programme, Cook said that there is a chance of winning the World Cup if they manage to have success in the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy and the Ashes.
Cook further said that winning the Champions Trophy and the World Cup is a major priority as the team has not won any of the events for a long time, adding that since the Champions Trophy will be held at England, the team hoped to make most of their home conditions to achieve success.
Cook further said that it is necessary for his team to keep developing if they want to win any of the tournaments, and added that his team needed to make amends for their tame showing in New Zealand.
However, Cook refused to accept England will start as firm favourites when Australia arrive for the Ashes after being hammered 4-0 in India recently, adding that Australia is going to be a tough side to beat in the Ashes .
The Champions Trophy begins on June 6 and England play in Group A against Australia, New Zealand and Sri Lanka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand