Cook says English Ashes confidence boosted by 2-0 Black Caps whitewash
Sydney: England captain Alastair Cook has said that England has boosted its confidence for the Ashes with their home turf 2-0 pounding of New Zealand. Cook`s charges beat the Kiwis by 247 runs at Headingley on Tuesday in what British press trumpeted as an ominous warning to Australia.
Content with the form-line ahead of their home Ashes series, Cook said that although winning the Test series against the Kiwis would not mean much when they meet Australia for the Ashes, but they will definitely be confident enough to challenge their arch rivals on their home soil.
Stating that a lot of things can change as there is a long time until the Ashes, the England skipper said that before that they would have to face important one-day cricket in the form of the ICC Champions Trophy, adding that they will know whether the games will make any momentum on the Ashes. Expecting trump card Kevin Pietersen to return from a knee injury for the Ashes forcing a batting change, Cook said that although there will be a tough decision to be made if he returns, he suggested that it could be too risky to promote Joe Root to open alongside him against the Australian fast bowlers.
According to Cook, the opener position is a crucial spot in an equally important series, adding that it is a risk to be in that position as the player comes in the firing line straight away and needs to set a good tone at the top of the order. Root, batting at number five, was Man of the Series against New Zealand and scored his maiden Test hundred in the Headingley win, and his form contrasts with incumbent opener Nick Compton, whose last six Test innings have yielded just 54 runs.
Meanwhile, defeated Kiwi captain Brendan McCullum has backed England to beat Australia in the much-anticipated series starting in July, saying that they are ``red-hot favourites``, with their ability to swing the ball to decide the Ashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22