Cook says Pietersen `progressing well` to be fit in time for Ashes
London: England Captain, Alastair Cook, has said that star batsman Kevin Pietersen is ‘progressing well’ during his recovery from knee injury for returning to the team in time for the Ashes.
Although he admitted that the shadow of Pietersen`s absence would hang heavily over England at Headingley during the second test against New Zealand, however, Cook said that Pietersen`s expected return for the Trent Bridge Ashes game would raise the stakes for Nick Compton and Jonny Bairstow, whose place he threatens, the Guardian reports.
Cook further said that he is confident that Pietersen is recovering fast, adding that the batting icon will come back more fitter and better than before, creating competition for places in the squad.
According to Cook, Pietersen`s return will be fortunate as with the increased competition, the English players will become all the more determined to score as many runs as possible.
Praising his new opening partner Compton and upcoming batsman Joe Root, Cook said that both of them fully justified their selection, adding that Compton has shown the determination and the talent needed to be at the top of the order and the character necessary to fight there.
On Root, Cook said that the young batsman has etched himself a place in the national squad with the amount of runs he scored while playing county games from his side Somerset, adding that he is sure that at some stage in the future, Root will be opening the batting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof