Court adjourns Chargers case till Sep 24, orders status quo
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court Monday adjourned till Sep 24 the hearing in the dispute between Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Deccan Chargers and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and directed status quo till then.
The high court`s ruling in effect bars the BCCI from taking any further action against the franchise and also cannot issue fresh tenders for bringing new team into the IPL fold till the disposal of the case.
The ruling also means that the cricket board would not be able to encash Rs.33 crore given to them by YES Bank on behalf of the Chargers.
The cricket board Friday terminated its contract with the Chargers a day after it rejected the sole bid from PVP Ventures and the Deccan Chronicle Holdings Saturday challenged the decision taken at the emergency IPL Governing Council of the board.
The petition contended that the BCCI decision was illegal and bad in law, and sought the stay of termination on the ground that the BCCI was already planning to invite tenders for the team from Hyderabad.
The BCCI, however, informed the high court that no tenders were invited to replace the Chargers from Hyderabad.
"The BCCI intends to invite tenders for new teams for cities like Ahmedabad, Vizag (Visakhapatnam) and Coimbatore. No new tenders are going to be called for Deccan Chargers now," the BCCI pointed out.
Posting the matter for further hearing Sep 24, Justice S.J. Kathawalla directed for status quo and no further action against the Chargers.
The BCCI Friday terminated the Chargers` contract and explained in a statement the reasons for doing so.
"On Thursday, despite the Bombay High Court appointing a court officer to act as Observer at the opening of the tender, which was conducted under the aegis of the BCCI to save the beleaguered franchise, Deccan Chronicle Holdings Ltd. rejected the bid that was received in the amount of Rs.450 crore cash and an equal sum in convertible debentures. This was despite the bidder meeting the eligibility criteria of the BCCI," the BCCI said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe