Cowan hits back at Chappell for suggesting Warner-Watson Test opening partnership
Sydney: Ed Cowan has hit back at Ian Chappell and defended his right to wear the baggy green after being snubbed by the former Test skipper in his choice of Australia`s premier Test XI.
Chappell had called for a re-shaping of Australia`s top order, believing the Test outfit would be a more potent batting line-up with a David Warner-Shane Watson opening alliance in the post-Ricky Ponting era.
Chappell did not mention Cowan specifically, but his decision to opt for Watson was a blatant sign that he believes there are better options than the Tasmanian to open the batting.
Cowan answered his detractors with a superb 136 against South Africa last month at the Gabba, which was his maiden Test ton, but for some the jury remains out given the 30-year-old``s average of 34.47 after 10 Tests.
“I``m surprised to hear Ian Chappell doesn`t want me in the team ... what a surprise,” News.com.au quoted a sarcastic Cowan, as saying.
“I can only worry about what I``m doing, and I feel as though I`m contributing. I`m confident I can do the job. I`m confident that Davey (Warner) can do the job. I`m confident Phil Hughes, Watson, Michael Clarke and Mike Hussey can do the job. The team is in a really good spot,” he added.
“I feel as though I have more to give, I feel as though the last series (against South Africa) was a step-up for me in the baseline of the series. It wasn`t a massive series, like a Michael Clarke one, but compared to India last year, I feel as though I`ve moved forward,” he said.
Cowan added: “I`ve had two innings of some significance out of five (against South Africa) ... I reckon that`s a pretty good strike-rate.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla