Cowan says good enough to open for Oz in Tests
Sydney: Ed Cowan has refused to be drawn into discussion about Australian vice-captain Shane Watson`s desire to open the batting for the team, adding that he has proven time and again he can do the job against any attack.
Cowan has spent the short break since the Test summer ended working on his training and refining his plans against spin bowling in groundwork for a tour of India in which he hopes to eliminate selection doubts from the equation before the Ashes.
When asked whether he felt his position was secure in the team, Cowan said he thinks he has shown enough to suggest that he is good enough, adding if a player can score Test hundreds against South Africa then he can score Test hundreds against any opposition.
However, Cowan admitted that the whole debate about his selection revolves around the consistency of his performance, adding that for the first four-fifths of the summer that consistency was there.
Cowan added there was an opportunity to go big a couple of times which he missed, but at the same time it felt like he was improving, and the quality of batting was there but the results weren`t.
The left-handed batsman further said when he was looking back it was probably disappointing not to really nail it but a few things happen out of your control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened