Craig McDermott returns as Australia Test bowling coach
Sydney: Former paceman Craig McDermott was Thursday appointed bowling coach for Australia`s Test team ahead of the Ashes series against England, barely a year after quitting the role.
The 48-year-old shocked Cricket Australia when he resigned in May 2012 after a successful 12 months in the job, which then also included coaching the one-day and Twenty20 bowlers, citing the conflicting demands of touring with family life.
But he has been enticed back in a revised role in which he will focus on the Test team, with the incumbent Ali de Winter moving into a new position overseeing the limited overs` bowlers only.
McDermott, who has been prominent in the development of young fast bowlers James Pattinson, Pat Cummins and Mitchell Starc along with the renaissance of Peter Siddle, said he was looking forward to the challenge.
"There is obviously a huge focus on regaining the Ashes this summer and I`ll work as hard as possible to prepare our bowlers for the challenge ahead," he said.
Cricket Australia team performance manager Pat Howard said they had been considering splitting the bowling coach roles for some time, given the amount of cricket played.
"We feel that with the amount of touring now it is extremely difficult for every member of the support staff to be on every tour," he said.
McDermott took 291 wickets at 28.63 in 71 Tests between 1984 and 1996 and with five Ashes Tests against arch-rivals England starting on November 21 in Brisbane, coach Darren Lehmann said it was good to have him back in the fold.
"Less time travelling for both Ali and Craig also means more time at home to plan, work with the states or Big Bash League teams and also directly with the bowlers on technical aspects or other areas for improvement," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India