Cricket Australia against review of minnows’ ban from WC
Melbourne: Cricket Australia (CA) has reiterated that it does not want the minnow nations’ to participate in the next World Cup in 2015.
“What we discussed when this was last an issue, let’s move to the 2015 World Cup with 10 teams being the 10 full-member nations, but let’s keep moving after that to it being a merit-based process and in the eyes of world cricket fans that would give the tournament its maximum credibility,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted a CA spokesman, as saying.
“The ICC World Cup, if it’s to be a credible, attractive tournament in the eyes of world cricket fans, needs to be as tight and as focused as it can be without long gaps with nothing going on, which has been one of the problems that’s characterized some World Cups in the last 15 to 20 years,” he added.
The ICC had earlier confirmed that the 2015 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand would be contested by the 10 full member nations, four fewer than the recent tournament held in the subcontinent.
However, ICC President Sharad Pawar has now decided to request the executive board to revisit its decision during their annual conference in Hong Kong in June.
There has been opposition to this proposed new structure, as it would stop minnow countries like Ireland, the Netherlands, Canada and Kenya from competing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan