Cricket Australia extends coach Nielsen’s contract
Melbourne: Cricket Australia (CA) has extended the contract of national coach Tim Nielsen by two years.
It comes as a surprise as Nielsen has led Australia to two Ashes defeats, two Test series defeats in India and a series loss against South Africa.
It was earlier reported that Nielsen would be the coach until the end of next month’s World Cup in the Indian subcontinent.
The 42-year-old had himself admitted that he expected his position to come under scrutiny following the recent Ashes disaster.
“I expect us all to be looked at, and talked to, in the review. The planning was there, it was just our inability as a group to do what we wanted with bat and ball,” a newspaper had quoted Nielsen, as saying.
Australia had lost the five-match series 3-1 to give England their first Test series win Down Under since the 1986-87 tour.
It was also the first time that Australia has lost three matches in a series by more than an innings in 135 years of Test cricket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!