Cricket has become a gambling den, says Shiv Sena
Mumbai: Shiv Sena today said revelations of spot-fixing in IPL matches show that cricket is no longer a gentleman`s game and has instead become a gambling den which is destroying a generation.
‘IPL may have given fame and money to many new players but it has also opened a new window of gambling and sex racket in the country. The ‘kauravas’ in the cricket are destroying an entire generation,’ the party said.
‘Cricket is no longer a gentleman`s game and has no connect with patriotism,’ it said.
The Sena`s comments, published in an editorial in party mouthpiece Saamana today, come after the arrest of three cricketers, including bowler S Sreesanth, for spot-fixing in the IPL matches.
Expressing dismay over the spot-fixing scandal that has rocked the IPL T20 tournament, the Sena said, ‘these players play not for the country but for the sponsors and big business houses.’
‘There is a reign of gamblers in IPL now and an entire generation is being destroyed in this,’ the Sena said. Politicians from Sharad Pawar to Rajiv Shukla have taken control of the business of cricket. The IPL where the betting racket has been exposed, is headed by Rajiv Shukla of Congress. He cannot shrug off his responsibility so easily,’ it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF chopper sprinkles water to douse Uttarakhand forest fires; Rajnath Singh reviews situation
- China may reconsider stand on Pakistani terrorists Hafiz Saeed, Masood Azhar?
- F-16s right platform for Pakistan's counter terrorism war: US
- In fight against impeachment, Brazil President Dilma Rousseff tries to win left support
- Uttarakhand forest fire: IAF's chopper MI-17 takes off from Nainital to drop water in affected areas - WATCH