Cricket has become a gambling den, says Shiv Sena
Mumbai: Shiv Sena today said revelations of spot-fixing in IPL matches show that cricket is no longer a gentleman`s game and has instead become a gambling den which is destroying a generation.
‘IPL may have given fame and money to many new players but it has also opened a new window of gambling and sex racket in the country. The ‘kauravas’ in the cricket are destroying an entire generation,’ the party said.
‘Cricket is no longer a gentleman`s game and has no connect with patriotism,’ it said.
The Sena`s comments, published in an editorial in party mouthpiece Saamana today, come after the arrest of three cricketers, including bowler S Sreesanth, for spot-fixing in the IPL matches.
Expressing dismay over the spot-fixing scandal that has rocked the IPL T20 tournament, the Sena said, ‘these players play not for the country but for the sponsors and big business houses.’
‘There is a reign of gamblers in IPL now and an entire generation is being destroyed in this,’ the Sena said. Politicians from Sharad Pawar to Rajiv Shukla have taken control of the business of cricket. The IPL where the betting racket has been exposed, is headed by Rajiv Shukla of Congress. He cannot shrug off his responsibility so easily,’ it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India